Steam Greenlight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katios' Underpants
Human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Steam Greenlight Reply with quote
I was reading the announcement regarding Steam's new Greenlight initiative and I immediately thought of TSE2.

I don't actually remember whether the game was ever submitted for Valve's consideration (I vaguely remember something, but have a habit of getting Mark confused with my other favourite indie developer, Vic Davis) - but surely this would be worth a go?

Personally I'd be more than willing to put a little evangelical effort behind it. More people deserve a chance to discover this amazing game!
Akatosh
Human

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seconded! Very Happy This game deserves a lot more exposure than what it's gotten.
Katios' Underpants
Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first round of games has been Greenlit. Honestly, it seems more than a little ambiguous how the whole process gets decided. I think Valve still aren't exactly sure how they want to do it, and the whole thing might just get spun into a sort of pre-sorting filter rather than a truly community-driven approval process.

That said, it doesn't seem like the competition is really that stiff - TSE2 actually being finished gives it a leg-up on about 80% of the stuff in there! Rolling Eyes More significant problems come with the 'portal-site' territory; with so much stuff floating about you get the feeling that visibility will have to be generated by the creators, rather than being a benefit provided by the service. There's also the small matter of the $100 fee, which if we look at this as a lottery is an incredibly expensive ticket.

Well, such are my disorganised ramblings. But I couldn't agree more with you Akatosh, and I'd dearly love to see the game finally receive the success it deserves. And, well, even if that never happens, I figure it can't hurt to show a little more love for the game on here Smile
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Given the poor taste in many of the game greenlighted, I doubt TSE2 would do too well. It seems only certain types of games passed through, none of which are remotely like TSE2. Crying or Very sad
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now that we have seen how Greenlight actually works, I think TSE2 could actually do really well there, despite my earlier statement.

Perhaps now would be the time to try it? So, Mark, before the forum goes inactive permanently, you should try to Greenlight TSE2 on Steam.
AlphaPrey
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure it'd work too well, as the game has already gone free. Perhaps if it had more content or some patches added for the steam version.

It's rather sad, really. We've all been through and played this great game, but few other people can relate. And now the community that had grown around it is well and truly dead.

I must admit I had fun while it lasted! Thanks for the game and the memories, Mark! And thanks for keeping this site up until now. Smile
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's nothing stopping Mark from putting a new price on the game, if he goes the Steam route. After all, the problem is that most people have never heard of the game, and Steam would certainly rectify that. Just take the freeware version offline(if it's still hosted) and you're good to go.

Mark's problem is that he doesn't know how to advertise. After all, he didn't even post a link here to his graphic novel that he's been working on for a year now. Smile

Though I suppose Greenlighting a game does require effort on the developer, since you'd have to "advertise" the Greenlighting and make it presentable and answer people's questions in Steam and all that.

I still haven't given up hope, Mark deserves so much more than what he has gained from making such a marvelous game.
AlphaPrey
Human

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tiavals wrote:

Mark's problem is that he doesn't know how to advertise. After all, he didn't even post a link here to his graphic novel that he's been working on for a year now. Smile

WOW, he's working on a graphic novel?! Perhaps he does need someone to help with advertising. Do you have a link, or is it still internal? Either way, if he ever happens to kickstarter it I'd definitely back it!

Honestly, TSE is a great series. And it could definitely fit a third game into it. But even without that, I've always thought TSE would be a nice game for a portable device. So porting it over to iOS/Android/Vita/3DS could be profitable.
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just google for it, should be easy to find. The Space Between.
AlphaPrey
Human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tiavals wrote:
Just google for it, should be easy to find. The Space Between.

Just for the record, it was not easy to find. That said, it wasn't hard either. "Mark Pay" and "The Space Between" turned up nothing related, until I typed in "Mark Pay The Space Between graphic novel".

LINK: The Space Between
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, for me it's the first one search result. Shows you how different google search preferences are these days. Smile

As for porting it to another platform, sounds like a lot of work. Although the user interface itself should work okay since it's pretty simple. Still, I'd suggest Steam first. Then again, it's not like that doesn't require it's own amount of work.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys! Sorry for the long silence, I know it sucks. I've not had email notifications on for the forum so I've missed any recent activity.

Thanks so much for your support, you're all completely awesome. Very Happy I hope everyone is well.

I would like to work on a third game but the odds are stacked against it right now. The last 5 years I've been working in IT, load testing websites. With a full-time job that's spent staring at code and data tables, coding really is the last thing that I've wanted to do when I get home in the evening. The indie scene has also exploded in that time, and there's so many great developers and games out there right now that trying to release anything into that whirlwind is intimidating.

TSE2 was rejected for Steam at the time. Going back to work on the old game doesn't appeal to me to be honest, as I find it painful to look at my old work, and now that I've made the game free I don't think it would be fair to try and charge for it again. I know I could step up the quality to the required level for a brand new game, but it would be a full-time endeavour with a significant amount of collaboration. Right now I have a mortgate and a pension and, much as I hate the daily treadmill of work, a regular paycheck gives great peace of mind.

Many people have suggested porting the game, but I don't think it's an option. It would require a complete rewrite, requiring so much work that you might as well make TSE3.

On marketing, I'm not completely ignorant of it but I do hate it with a burning passion. Very Happy Just thinking about it makes me ill... I'm too self-conscious and self-critical to ever properly promote my stuff and mixing money and art has only made me unhappy in the past. I also lack the requisite body parts and lack of morals to market the Zoe Quinn way. Wink

The past few years I have been working on a graphic novel. I don't know if it's going very well but I'm enjoying it and it's been an interesting new challenge. I've certainly not lost any skills - I think I'm a sharper artist and coder than I've ever been, so I could jump back into games development at any time. But I don't want to get anybody's hopes up! The complete lack of any TSE clones in the last 5 years is disappointing though. Wink

Thanks again for the support and the suggestions guys. I'm still around, and I'm glad you are too!

Best wishes,

Mark
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I find it impossible to understand why TSE2 was rejected by Steam, since it's lightyears better than most of the garbage there. Boggles the mind.

If your life situation ever changes and you do intend to make a third game, don't be too self-critical about it. Always remember that there are people out there who _know_ that you're a master at the craft.
claudio
Human

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Tiavals"]I find it impossible to understand why TSE2 was rejected by Steam, since it's lightyears better than most of the garbage there. Boggles the mind.
[/quote]

Second that.
I wanted to play some games again after some time away from gaming, so I installed Steam on my laptop, just to see if it would work on Linux (it does). But the selection was not that good.. I ended up reinstalling wine and Spirit Engine 1 and 2: they are still awesome.

Did they maybe mention what should be changed in order for the games to be accepted? I think that both TSE 1 and 2 should be on Steam.
AlphaPrey
Human

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is crazy to think that it got rejected by Steam. How I imagined it was the game itself would be free but it would have the soundtrack to buy as DLC for $10. I've seen a couple of games do this so I know it's possible.

That said, I would be behind a Spirit Engine 3 all the way! Keep up the good work on your graphic novel too, I keep checking for when it updates. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: