Forum signup disabled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Forum signup disabled Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I've disabled forum signup to stop the relentless link spammers. This forum will remain up, but I'll probably archive it soon, since it understandably sees few new posts and has now served its purpose.

I'm grateful to everyone who's posted in this forum in the last five years. Your support and enthusiasm has been simply fantastic, and an important source of strength and motivation. A new (non-game) project will hopefully be on its way from me some time next year.

Until then, thank-you and let's all have a great 2012! Very Happy

Mark
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunate but understandable. I cannot really state with words the profound joy I experienced with TSE2 and I will be grateful for it for the rest of my life.

I wish all good things to you.

On a more selfish note, might you want to answer questions I would have about TSE2 in general(background information about many things, why things are the way they are, and such) or even the "logistics" of the game(how many downloads, and such)?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Tiavals. Ask away! (though I don't the figure for downloads - I haven't been keeping track of the third-party sites that host them)
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great!

For starters, are the Rakari intended to be ambiguous or not?

Did you have any other characters in mind for the main characters, that you had to drop out for whatever reason?

Also, how long ago did the whole business with the "Spirit Engine" and the Rakari arriving happen, compared to the time of the game?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
For starters, are the Rakari intended to be ambiguous or not?

Yes, I like moral ambiguity. Smile
Quote:
Did you have any other characters in mind for the main characters, that you had to drop out for whatever reason?

No, the final designs for the main characters came together very quickly, and didn't change much during the script writing process.
Quote:
Also, how long ago did the whole business with the "Spirit Engine" and the Rakari arriving happen, compared to the time of the game?

I never really chose a number. Maybe 500 years?
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I remember, Enshadu's past was clouded in mystery in the game. Did you ever decide what he had actually done before he got institutionalized?

Did you ever think of how Priestly magic worked in the setting(and I guess sword magic too)? Is it really magic that comes from somewhere, or the post-resonance of the "Spirit Engine"(did the thing have an in-game name I've forgotten?), or did you just shrug and never think about it?

I'll have to replay the game yet again to get more questions. If only I could remember which party combinations I haven't plyaed yet. Wink
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply!

Quote:
As far as I remember, Enshadu's past was clouded in mystery in the game. Did you ever decide what he had actually done before he got institutionalized?

No. As he is a player character I thought it was necessary to keep him sympathetic, and knowing the details of his (probably quite awful) crime would jeopardize this. In this case, I thought it was better to keep both writer and player in the same position as the player characters - not knowing. Though not knowing is disturbing in other ways.

Quote:
Did you ever think of how Priestly magic worked in the setting(and I guess sword magic too)? Is it really magic that comes from somewhere, or the post-resonance of the "Spirit Engine"(did the thing have an in-game name I've forgotten?), or did you just shrug and never think about it?

No. It's something that bugged me after I'd decided to rationalise so much of the rest of the setting from a more generic fantasy basis. In the end I tended to justify it as a varied manifestation of some generic ( and scientifically implausible ) innate telekenesis and/or nanotechnology reacting in the surrounding environment.

If it'd written it purely as fiction, and not as the backdrop for an RPG, a lot more thought would have gone into the world-building! Smile
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
To you too Mark! (Lifts glass)

To this day, it still pains me that some people have never played (or heard of!) TSE2... ahh well...

Good luck with the graphic novel Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: