@Mark Pay - My thanks, praise, and questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akivar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: @Mark Pay - My thanks, praise, and questions Reply with quote
Loved the game. Thinking I had exhausted every decent CRPG, I scoured the internet, and stumbled upon this gem.

The dialogue and story was just awesome. I was not expecting anything near that level of quality.

Anyways, on to the next part. I am a young fellow (23) who wants to make a game (I have a grand vision for this one game). So, just a few questions:

1.) Is it worth it? That is, is it worth it spending countless hours on a game that might perhaps see little circulation? Do you regret it at all?

2.) About how many hours did you spend making the game? What was the longest part?

3.) What program(s) did you use to make it? Would you recommend those programs? Would you recommend any other programs instead?

4.) If there is anything that you could've done differently so that things were accomplished more quickly, efficiently, better, etc., what were they?

I would love to know the answers to these questions! Thanks!

Anthony
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you won't mind if another game developer answers your questions, too

1) Of course it is worth it - you can never know how much played your game will be before you release it and the game creation process itself is a great fun. Smile

3) I believe he used The Games Factory or another similiar Clickteam game creation software. In my opinion OpenGL + C++ is the best - it may be difficult at first, but it gives you tons of flexibility and freedom.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Akivar!

GiB is correct. I'll add some thoughts if I may:

1) It is worth it. The knowledge that people enjoy the game enough to make posts in this forum is enough.

I think it helps to have the right temperament to see a long project through to the end. I am fairly stubborn and not very sociable. TSE-2 took five years to write, alongside university and then a day-job. The process itself is often boring and frustrating, marked by small moments of pride and pleasure, an unpleasant amount of fear shortly before the release, and then a feeling of emptiness afterwards ( on to the next project! )
That doesn't sound very appealing in hindsight. Although it's not in my nature to ever be satisfied with my work, or to dwell upon it afterwards, I do not regret that time at all. If nothing else it has built some useful creative skills that I can take forwards.

I would strongly advise you to start small. Although the tools available nowadays are good, you will not be able to accomplish your grand project straight away. Indeed by the time you are you may have had a better idea!

2) I never counted hours. As I mentioned above, the project took five years, part time. Perhaps 15 hours a week on average? A rough estimate then is 3900 hours. Plus the time Josh spent on the music.
Longest part? Script edits. The dialogue used to be even clunkier than it is now. I learnt a lot from the many hours I spent re-writing it.

3) Multimedia Fusion by Clickteam. Have you done much programming before? If not I would recommend something like MMF. It's a nice way to get results without having to learn a full procedural programming language.

I've used C++ for projects in the past few years. It is powerful, but in my opinion not enjoyable to code in. If I were to start a new game tomorrow I'd look at a scripting language like Python, which I use a lot at work and like coding in. I've never tried writing a game with Python though. Presumably there are some good audio and graphics libraries available. The most important thing is that you are comfortable writing in your language of choice. Everyone finds their own preference.

4) Many things! I think it's common for the author to be obsessed with the flaws in the process upon completion and be driven to overcome them the next time around. In short:

- Some serious changes to the art process ( e.g. - the portraits are all pixel art, and lit from an awkward angle. But once you choose the style you have to stick to it! )
- Use a C++ extension for the back end from the start. MMF not good at efficient global code.
- Market game better
- Focus more on presentation and usability for mass-market audience

At the same time, TSE-2 was built on many hard-learnt lessons from TSE-1, and so on. It's all incremental.

I hope that was of some interest. Let me know if I can help with any other queries.

Best wishes,

Mark
Akivar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks both to GiB and Mark for your prompt replies. Time to download MMF and see what I can do with it.

To answer your questions/suggestions:
Thanks for the tip on starting small. I know exactly what you mean. I used to play a game called Neverwinter Nights, but most of the time I spent was with it was in its toolset, trying to make my own modules. Anyways, I learned very quickly how much time goes into these sorts of things, and that I needed to start small.

I have limited experience with Python and C++, probably enough to make some headway but nothing to fancy. I'm interested to see what I can do with MMF!

And I'm glad to hear your encouragement. It's such a monumental endeavour, in my opinion... it's like writing a book on top of shooting a movie and then making it interactive. Here's hoping I produce something as good a quality as TSE.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: