Aww... Still a bug or 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // Brass & Steel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemiImp
Human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Aww... Still a bug or 2. Reply with quote
I've downloaded this game like a month ago and have finally gotten to it! I was quite excited to hear about a new release Smile

But, gah! I still cant have 3 people on my team :p

It registers it on the selection screen but when I started playing it was 2 against 3.

The other bug has to do with scrolling the screen. I made a 40x40 map and I couldn't see the bottom of it! lol. Although the trees would disappear as if the screen was still scrolling down.

I'm glad you're working on the manual (it's making things clearer). Could you also explain what the rotation/circle mouse icon means? One unit (I cant remember what it was... a long range artillery thing? ) often is able to move 1 square and then his turn doesn't end... but I cant attack anything. So, I usually put my mouse over an enemy and the mouse turns into a circular thing with arrows. I have no idea what it means. Anyway, I right click an enemy and his turn goes away... *shrugs* ... Don't know what's going on.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply DemiImp! I have a lot of posts and mails to catch up on, as usual!

Sorry about the custom settings bug. I think the faction divider settings must not be updated. I test using quick play atm, so don't notice it. I'll try and take a look at it.

The rotating arrow means 'turn and face' - right click and a unit will face the target square. It's especially important with tanks ( thinner armour at the rear ), and artillery and self-propelled guns ( can only fire in forwards arc )
Pretty much all artillery and self-propelled guns can only fire if they remain stationary.

I know the lack of documentation is terrible! It's very boring to work on though, and adding new features / playtesting is always more fun. Wink
DemiImp
Human

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dont feel too bad about slow response times :p

I read your message like 5 days after you posted it (and am just now responding to it). I know you're doing all of this in your spare time, so I don't expect you to have the time to check up every hour Smile

Well, I personally hope you get that faction divider issue worked out in the next release or the one after. Thinking about it, I don't know if it'll affect gameplay much... but, maybe it will? *shrugs*

I sort of wish I could see the range of units. Not their movement, but their attack. It's just a bit fuzzy what affects what they can hit and what they cant. Were you planning on eventually showing this or is this something we would have to learn on our own?

And last, but not least... Don't worry too much about documentation :p It's important, but what you have now explains a lot of the basics. It's probably better to do documentation after a feature is fully fleshed out anyway instead of trying to update it incrementally (and thus accidentally leave in old/outdated/wrong info).

I'm pretty excited to see this game develop Smile Keep up the awesome work!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks DemilImp! I've already fixed the faction divider issure. It wasn't even implemented... Embarassed

Weapon range values are shown ( but this isn't documented! ) In the bottom left, under the unit name, are 1-3 icons showing weapon types. Under them is a x1,x2... number showing the number of times they will fire. And under each of those is the weapon range.

I'd like to get them visibile on the map. But MMF2s options for drawing smooth line geometry are not very good. And it gets complicated when hills are involved! I could render it square-based, but MMF2 is inefficient for doing this, and range 16+ artillery would require 1000+ squares calculated and drawn. ( less, depending on how the screen is cropped )
It's possible, but it would have to be a later feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // Brass & Steel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: