Ooh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // Brass & Steel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mossy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Ooh Reply with quote
Year after year, I find myself becoming more and more disinterested in the latest games that are released. Of course, every year there is usually a few games that I learn to love, but that number is lessening rapidly. Then today, I stumble across a game that catches my interest. An alpha version of a game called Brass & Steel. I nearly disregarded it, thinking it would be a bugfest, but the idea of an Advance Wars like game infused with ideas from Company of Heroes (two of the best games to come out in recent times) was too much not to even look at.

So, two hours later, I find myself addicted. If this is the standard for an alpha version of a game, I cannot wait until the full version is released. This game has immense potential.

The game could obviously do with more gameplay features, a more polished interface etc. but in it's current state, I found the only problem was a slightly laggy screen scrolling. Though this may have been due to the fact I was playing on a netbook.

The graphics are charming, the gameplay is fun and it's addictive. It looks to have great replay value.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Mossy! I cannot tell you how happy your post makes me. Smile

I've been working on Brass & Steel for about a year now, but most of that time I've been at my new job, so spare time is restricted to weekends, and progress has been slow.
It's not had a lot of downloads or positive feedback so far, so I'm thrilled to hear that you're enjoying it.

There are an enormous number of features that can be added. I'm working on walls and hedges at the moment. Buildings next, then hills, which will be tricky to display. Beyond that I'd love to get missions, a map editor, other armies, campaigns in there. It'll take a long time though...

The game was originally developed on a netbook! I've switched back to my main PC because it's cold and wet outside though. The HWA, DirectX accelerated version runs really well on my EEE PC 1000, but scrolling is sluggish on the software-only version. The mouseover popups in the latest version render very slowly as well, and need replacing.

Thanks again!
Geos
Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I stumbled upon Brass and Steel by happy chance, and I can say that it's the best game I seen in months. It's addictive the very same way as Civilization or Battle for Wesnoth- you're always wanting to spend one more turn until you realize it's way past midnight.

You have a real gameplay gem here, and I can't wait to see it released.
kegley

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded the Spirit Engine 2 when it became free and then came back to your website and discovered this little gem.

I absolutley love it! It's a perfect mix of engrossing tactics that's just light enough not to bog you down.

Please keep working on it.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your support guys. I really appreciate it.
aVoddle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
At first, sorry for language, I'm russian & I'm almost never writing on english forums.

Well, Brass & Steel is already wonderful, nice graphics, very good gameplay... I like it so much! When I downloaded alpha, almost whole day was lost due to the game Smile

By the way, I played both TSE of cause. These are very impressive game, one of the best games I ever played, really.

So thank you very much, Mark, for your outstanding games! I really hope that you'll continue all this work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // Brass & Steel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: