How I liked the game. A review of the full version.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmooo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: How I liked the game. A review of the full version. Reply with quote
I bought the game sometime in the first few weeks. I was pleased. Having purchased anouther indie game before it called Depths of Peril, Spirit Engine 2 shined by comparrison. The game was fun. The plot was nice. The characters were likable. The music was great. The artwork was good. The combat system was EXCELLENT.

However like everyone else there are things that I wish were different. Note I have not played with the patches so sorry if these gripes are not longer true, please let me know.

1) no gamepad support. Somewhat important to me since i like to lean back like a vegetable while i play.

2) Minigames/puzzles. I like my rpg's to have mini games and puzzles. There were a few. Where you have to maximize damage in 1 punch, and where you have to take a lot of damage from the carnies in the city. However these were just like 2 extra bosses gameplay wise. Sure you had to figure them out but i wanted more minigames and puzzles, preferably not based on the combat system.

3) No voice acting. I realize this is a lot to ask but it would have been nice.

Okay done complaining.
the game was great. I loved it, i still play it.
One of my fav rpg's along with KOTOR.
8.75/10 A great value for the price!

P.S. while Mark routinely badmouths the original Spirit Engine, I LOVE the original. I might even prefer it because i like the cartoony graphics and I loved the cowboys and priests. I mean who doesnt want a catholic priest in their rpg party, priceless. I would still play it if the music didn't crash my computer. I have a version without the music that i play, but its not the same.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Schmoo. Very Happy

On gamepad support, my personal platform preference is probably to blame. I don't play on consoles very often. When I started work on TSE-2 I had never played an RPG on console before and the idea of using a gamepad for menu navigation would ( and still does ) drive me crazy!
It's something I will be aware of for any future projects. It would be a lot of work to add to TSE-2 at this stage, unless there are a lot of requests for it.

Puzzles - Are I pet hate of mine I must confess! At least non-optional ones. I'm also the sort of person who plays through RPGs and avoids every minigame as well. Ultimately, limited resources made the final decision. I'd have liked to add more optional content in general though.

I would have loved to have voice acting. Unfortunately, with so many characters ( for a small project ) and no budget, I could not possibly have found or afforded the necessary talent. Sadly, no voice-acting is better than bad voice-acting.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. It's useful and I enjoyed reading it. I'm glad to hear you still like TSE1! I wish there was some way for me to fix the crash issues that wouldn't require weeks of painful work. Sad
schmooo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow a reply from the creator. don't fret about my gripes haha. what you did you did very well, thats what counts i think.

Yes you are right, puzzles should be optional if they exist. A satisfying puzzle has the drawback that a few people won't be able to solve it, so it must be optional.

Optional or random content is what makes multiple playthroughs more satisfying, fortunately you provide this through having many possible party combinations each with different game events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: