translation suggestion...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tatogame
Human

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: translation suggestion... Reply with quote
Hi to everybody! I've just bought TSE2 and i'm waiting BMT confirmations e-mail.
I love the spirit engine 1 and i waited long TSE2 and now finally comes Mr. Green

But how about translations in another languages?
I remember a topic in tse1 forum that ask a similar questions ("how about translations in italian" and a response "yes, good idea, but i ts1 i can't translate text,maybe in tse2....")

I think that translating this software in another languages can approach a lot of people at this game (a lot of my friend, for example Razz )

I know enough english to read in-text game (but not to talk xD ) but thousand people prefer plays only in hometalks language

bye and thank you for make this fantastic game!

PS
i'm italian, sorry for poor english Razz

Burpd!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi tatogame. Very Happy

I have an external text editor for the game which I can make available. Almost all the text should be editable with a few exceptions where I have used bitmap graphics on the in-game menus.

The problem at the moment is finding bi-lingual people interested in making a translation. With so much text in the game, I can't afford to pay a professional translator. I will have to rely on volunteers, and since the game is not very popular yet, I think you are the first customer to request a translation.

I very much want to make translations available, so if anyone feels like undertaking this rather lengthy task for any language, I will do my best to help them.
Nillo
Human

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heh. I'm bilingual and can speak both Swedish and English, but making a Swedish translation would be pretty pointless - everyone here can read English just as well (if not better). Plus I think the English language is better suited for writing in a fantasy setting.
tatogame
Human

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now i'm post a messages in some italian forums... perhaps someone came here to help Wink
edit: an information, how much text there are to translate? (eg: 500K?)

Burpd!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I find it difficult to estimate. At a guess - 10000 sentences?

EDIT - 500K characters seems like reasonable guess.

Last edited by Mark Pay on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can translate the game in Bulgarian.But Im not very sure now long it'll take.Probably 6 months?I dont know.
tatogame
Human

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've founded some people who wants translate TSE in italian, what i do now? Can you give me the "spirit-text editors software"? Razz

Burpd!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi tatogame. I have put online a cut-down version of the editor, which should allow access to the various text files in the game:

http://thespiritengine.com/Files/TSE2Misc/ArrayEditorScriptFull.exe

It needs to be placed in the install directory.
Please remember to make a backup of your installer or main directory before editing, and keep it in case it is needed for future patches.

Some of the conversation text has become very jumbled up in the order of storage. Some has been cut and is no longer used.
You can get a preview of the text as it appears in the game by placing your mouse over a text box and holding F5
tatogame
Human

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We started TSE translation!
Now we have finished all charpter 1 and some of "data" text Smile
We will release Italian-Demo-Version Soon.
But... a question...I don't understand all TSE file/folder structure (game use /current and /base when new game starts?) and we have some difficulty to edit some text; so, where we can find Skill (with skill's description) and Items Text?

Bunch of screens!

Burpd!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's great! Very Happy
I have uploaded a version of the editor with the inventory and skill editors, which only save text for now.

http://www.thespiritengine.com/Files/TSE2Misc/ArrayEditorScriptFullest.exe

Regarding the file structures:
Some files are stored with some light encryption and are decrypted at runtime. A temporary copy of these files is made to avoid damaging the originals if the program crashes during decryption.

In \Data, the \Base folder holds the encrypted original files, and the \Current folder holds the copies and any unencryped files.
( except for 104, where the copies are placed in a subdirectory specified in game.ini - but that's not important, because you only need to work with the originals)

In \Script, \Stored are the encrypted original files and \Current are the copies and unencrypted files.

If you need any more information, let me know.
tatogame
Human

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updates: Cool
We have finished chapter 1 dialogues and ALL /Data text (items, skills and some extras)

Only one problem...In the editor we can't find "Fortitude" text (not description!) in skills DB... (If it is a cnc array i can edit manually, simple tell me which files or patch editor Razz )

When we will complete first 2 chapters we can release a Translate/demo version/patch (but you MUST release it in homepage too!)... A christmas gift? Rolling Eyes

(If someone wants beta version i can send a zipped text packages)

Burpd!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I looked for 'Fortitude' and unfortunately I have forgotten to put it in an external file. Sad I can make this editable in a future patch, but for now it is too small an issue alone to make a patch for.

I will certainly put up the translation on the main page once it is available! Very Happy Let me know how you progress.
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally bought the game this Sunday and when I started translation, I found out there is not cyrilic support.Is it possible to make one or make something like custom font?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi GiB. I've been looking more into this problem, and it appears that most parts of MMF2 do not support Cyrillic or other non-latin character sets.
I don't know exactly what character set they do use - it is larger than basic ASCII but much smaller than Unicode.

Unfortunately this restricted character set extends down to the array object used to store script textual data. It appears that MMF3 is due to support Unicode, but that may not be available for years. Sad
http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=82648&Searchpage=1&Main=11822&Words=unicode&Search=true#Post82648

The text-display objects cannot have their font changed at runtime. It might be possible to use a windows font that 'fakes' Cyrillic character support, but an entirely separate binary would unfortunately need to be built for this, which would take some time and cause incompatabilities with any patches beyond 1.04 if they are needed.

I would be willing to try this if you are fully committed to making the complete translation and believe there would be an audience for it, because it will take me some time also. Most people who offer to work on either of the two games are, I think, quickly scared off by the large workload involved. Sad
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark Pay wrote:

I would be willing to try this if you are fully committed to making the complete translation

I am fully committed to make it, but the full translation won't come in short terms, because I'm going to translate it alone.I hope this isn't a big problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: