Chillsplinter! Wtf?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSHEEEP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Chillsplinter! Wtf?! Reply with quote
Hey there.

Enjoyed the game so far, took me 2 hours to beat the goddamn Cloud Child, but I managed. That wa sgood for a boss battle.

But now I can't even beat the normal ones.
While I like challenging games, this goes beyond challenging, this is just insane. This would even be too hard for Hard mode.

I have a mixed party (one of each profession), lvl 47, normal mode and no strategy will do here.

The second fight at that snowy location always consists of two Chillsplinters and one random other. Two Chillsplinters alone would be a worthy boss battle, but hey, why not even moar, right?

I really tried everything:
Healing the other party members while they TRY to do damage with attacking all enemies (Thunderstrike & Lucky Shot) or with attacking only one. Fail, usually not even one Chillsplinter dies.
Just throwing most charged up damage with all characters. Fail. Everyone dies before any splinter does.
Using smokescreen + fortify + heal while dealing damage with Poison (its the most powered up skill of my marksman, with Dodge) and Thunderstrike. Fail.
Even with careful timing (no attack wasting while they are underground), it doesn't work.
All other strategies, involving all other skills... fail.
Those splinters deal ~450 damage with their underground attack, and usually my priest dies after 6 of those attacks. And when the priest is dead and the enemy is still standing... well, you know the drill.

Whats up with this? This seems literally impossible.

Edit:
Well, I could always go back and level up until I can make it, but the reason for me not finishing any jRPG from Final Fantasy 7 to 12 is my strong aversion to grinding. Its just a waste of time, a poor excuse to make a game seem longer and simply bad game design (japs would disagree, I know). And I'm very happy that TSE didn't require it so far.
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it's even possible to grind in TSE2. Or is it?

Anyway, the battles are mostly about tactics. If you find it too impossible, simply change your tactic. Worst case scenario use the character-changing points to tune your abilities to totally different ones.

If you aren't playing on Easy already, try that, and raise it back to Normal if it's too easy.

It's been a while since I've played the game so I don't remember those particular monsters(maybe they were the ones that hide in their shell and then attack the whole party?), but most battles should be won by putting up a smokescreen and focusing on the weak points of the enemy. The timing is also very important, since if you kill two, but one gets back up, you'll be fighting a losing battle.

If they attack just one character at a time, recycle the characters when they get too damaged, while healing with your priest when necessary. If the enemy has a very high defence, use the Charge ability with your warrior prior to attacking.

Usually you should use a balanced strategy. Like, the shooter using smokescreen every other turn, and shooting the big-damage shots every other, the healer healing, and the warrior charging and slaying. Seems to me that you're focusing too much on a single aspect with each of your strategies.

Frankly, I consider the Crone on the hoverball to be by far the most difficult battle in the game. Everything else is childsplay compared to it, and since you've already beaten it, you shouldn't have too much trouble with this one. Very Happy
HugoRune
Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you like the chillsplinters now, just wait how much you will love them after the crypt Smile
Healing and smokescreen will not help you much at that point.
(edit: actually I am not sure whether that particualr part has any chillsplinters. Smokescreen should work well on the ones before that)

I cannot remember exactly, but I think I beat those things with charged overdrive hack and empowdered overdrive explosive shell, maybe combined with damn. Just kill them faster than they can kill you.

Basically concentrate all your firepower on the first enemy. Wait until he has just finished an attack, then send the whole party at it to kill it as fast as possible.
Then onto the next one, but keep one character ready to beat down the first enemy when it comes back.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate grinding too! Hopefully you won't have to resort to it.

As HugoRune says, the best strategy is to hold back and knock them out one at a time, whilst doing your utmost not to get any of your own characters KOed This is not easy since you can't control who the Chillsplinters hit. Stack plenty of defensive equipment on your priest if you have it.

Once the Chillsplinters are down from 3 to 2, they're a lot more manageable.
I think the Chillsplinters have high ethereal resistance, so poison isn't an effective attack. Their armour is good too, so focused single target attacks are your best option. Make sure you've got the game speed on slow to avoid missing with any attacks and don't be ashamed to put the difficulty down to Easy!

Good luck. Very Happy
fuyutsukikouzou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It takes luck, especially if you have one of those magic-users that freezes one of your own guys. In normal mode, I just had my team use targeted attacks on the weakest enemies. I'd take care of the mage in the back (if there was one) and then I'd start pausing the actions of the attackers until the Chillsplinters came up for air.

In absurd mode, I had to change my tactics a bit. If you have a mixed party, have the musketeer roll some smoke out and start buffering. If you have three chillsplinters, I have the knight fortify for good measure. If you have a mage in there, just charge and swordfaith the little bugger immediately. Then do the same buff/debuff/charge/overdrive attack on the frontmost chillsplinter, all the while rolling out smokescreens (stop the smokescreens and throw on an enpowder just before you attack).

Now, this tactic isn't fast by any means, though it does work most of the time. However, I highly doubt it will carry me through the timed part further up the mountain. I don't know. This mode might be beyond me. Chillsplinters be damned!
DesertDweller
Human

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dunno. I've never had problems with the Chillsplinters. As the guy above me said, just pull out smokescreen, damn the front most chill splinter, and time your attacks. I don't remember if they regenerate; if they do then I wouldn't bother using multi-enemy attacks because it's not efficient enough.

In my run I had two priests so I used Wrath a lot. I also used sprite summon a lot because the chi recharge really helps when you do get attacked.

I don't remember it too well but smokescreen usually was enough to let my priests heal and wrath when needed. Sad

I would definitely get rid of one of them ASAP and then focus on beating down the next to make sure my health doesn't suffer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: