Skill Chains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monele

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Skill Chains Reply with quote
Hello!

I've been playing through the demo twice and probably go ahead and buy the game today to know what happens next Very Happy.

In the meantime, I have a question about skill chains : I uh... I don't really understand how they work nor their point so far. Obviously you can chain up skills which will be automatically used one after another. Okay, that's good for automation and synchronisation. But is this all there is to it or is there another advantage?

The feature I'm really wondering about is the "wait" tickbox which gets you this flickering blue arrow icon instead of the usual play/pause... I thought it meant the character could launch multiple skills at once, but it seems like it doesn't work, still launching skills one after another, waiting in-between... So really, how does this all work?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monele - that's all there is to it. Smile They're there to save you from having to manually reselect your skills if you're using them in a set sequence.

The 'wait' tickbox just forces a character to wait for your command before starting or restarting a skill chain, if you want more control.
monele

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now that I've reached Chapter 4 (yep, bought it ^^), I keep to very short chains, mostly Charge + some attack for the Knight, and otherwise 1 action "chains", just because it's nice to have them in the three "quickslots".

I might end up using the "pause" action in some of them since I noticed more and more monsters require precise timing, lest you simply waste the attack (which is *bad* if it's a charged overdrive one!)
Not sure about the Wait tickbox so far, though Smile.

Another question about overdrive and the energy bar in general : does overdrive start right when you reach a full bar or do you really have to wait for it to turn yellow? Are there various levels of overdrive? I have tried variations but in the heat of battle, I barely have the time to actually compare numbers and see if there's a difference. Is it worth waiting till it turns bright green?

Oh and... does Overdrive affect assistant skills such as Charge, Heal, Powder Imps, etc...?

Lots of questions ^^;... I'm enjoying the game so far and I'm still amazed you actually made this using MMF!
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MMF isn't so bad! Very Happy I've been using it for so long that I've gotten quite comfortable with it. Maintaining the code across 90 frames is a real problem though, and even making small updates for the first patch is taking a long time.

Overdrive starts as soon as the bar stops growing and starts changing colour. It affects all skills, although it is most useful on attack skills for overcoming armour.
The longer you spend in overdrive, the more the next skill is boosted, up until the bar turns bright green, after which the amount of boost stops increasing.

Thanks for buying the game, please let me know if you have any more questions!
monele

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eh, that's what scares me the most : having to duplicate whole scenes just to get a new "level", and then having to update each, one by one, if the code changes o_@...

Thanks for detailing this ^_^
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What baffles me is that I seem to remember Clickteam providing an adequate solution for this in an old version of their software, Click & Create. It let you tag event groups as 'Global' and make them behave in the same way as global Active Objects do now. If you updated a group on one frame, the changes propogated to every other instance of that group.

For some reason this functionality was not included in MMF and the alternatives - Global Events and Behaviours, don't cut it for me. I like to have all of my code in the same place.

I must have wasted hundreds of hours updating code manually so far. I'm definately using a single-frame engine for the next game I develop in MMF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: