A little question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: A little question... Reply with quote
Have you made the jump to MMF2 yet? I expect you had quite a lot done already when it came out so it's probably not worth converting it all. Have you had a go? What do you think?

The screenshots are looking great by the way, the graphics are so much more crisp without the outlines, and the environments so much more detailed. Do you not find you're getting better as you get further on in the game so is it hard to keep the style constant?

It's funny really, as one of the features on the blog I was going to do amusing DS mockups for games that lend itself to the system (although obviously just a complete pipe dream), and I was gonna start with The Spirit Engine because it's almost perfect for it.

Good luck anyway.

(BTW, the old games archive page doesn't work :S)
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Jimbob! Thanks for the link on Klik-Me.

My current expectations are that I will not migrate TSE-2 to MMF2. I figure that at this point I am better off sticking with the devil I know. Twisted Evil I have gotten used to all of MMF 1.5's annoying little quirks, and I don't really want to go through the trouble of finding a whole load of new ones for MMF2 the hard way.
I haven't been able to try migrating the game yet, even using the MMF2 demo, as a number of the extensions that I used ( most notably Control X and Modfusion ) have not been converted last time I checked. So long as MMF 1.5 executables continue to work properly in Vista, I will stick with it. I would love to have alpha-blending on active objects, but I can live without it.

I'm glad that you're liking the new graphics! They're turning out to be the most time-consuming aspect of development. I have had some trouble with improving skill over time, but it's not been as bad as the first game, where I had to work to cover up the stylistic and skill differences between the graphics in the first and 4th/5th chapters.

This time around I spent a great deal of time getting the male and female human templates for characters as close to what I felt was perfect for the size whilst I was in the planning stages, and that has really paid off. I have found myself going back and spending some time correcting art which I had basically gotten lazy with and abandoned too early - a lot of the chapter 1 graphics and main character animations. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to retouch before I'm done. The character conversation portraits are an ongoing nightmare of revision. I should have made them smaller and lit them from the near side to save effort, but I've got to finish what I started now. ;_;

I'm sad to admit that I've never touched a DS. Sad Are those the ones with the touch-pen and screen? I keep hearing a lot about indy development for them. Somehow I doubt they run Windows. It is a certainly a lovely pipe-dream though, and seeing some fantasy mockups would be cool. What other games did you have in mind? Was it mainly klik & indy stuff?

Is it http://thespiritengine.com/bunker.html that you were unable to get working? It's ok for me here but I'm not sure just how reliable my host is. Shockingly, all of the file links seem to work right now too. ^_^

Thanks again.
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aha, it's just the front page news link that's wrong... (it links to a non-existant /MMFBunker folder) just checked out the links page for the proper link.

As for the DS games, yes, I was just going to mock-up Klik/related games that would lend themselves to the dual-screen touchscreen format. It's a shame you haven't picked one up yet, it's quite a surprise. After TSE, something like DeliDash (click and drag the plates to spin them around) would probably be next...

Hopefully you'll enjoy the new direction of the Klik-Me page, I'm quite enjoying just writing now, and developing games from a completely different context other than 'let's make something like (blah)!'.

Again good luck with it, I think my art skills are improving a lot, I'm just waiting for the time to actually plan out my magnum opus... Razz
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like that both of the games you mentioned feature my music. Just kidding ^_^

Anyway, you have some interesting ideas jimbob. Very Happy
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fixed the frontpage link, thanks.

I'm looking forward to the new Klik-Me and I'm curious to see what direction you'll take it in. ( articles? news? reviews? a bit of everything? ) I miss serious discussion of the Klik scene. I really freaking miss #k&p not being a wasteland. I even remember when we used to regularly have 4+ members of Natomic on our own IRC channel at a time. If people are have interesting conversations anywhere, it's no place that I know about. Sad
It all seems so dead right now, with only Acoders and a couple of Natomic and ex FAIND members working ( quietly ) on anything interesting or ambitious. There's no convention either this year. Hopefully things will pick up in the future.

I'd love a DS to play with but, cash problems right now. Sad I gotta warn you against magnum opii ( what is the plural of opus anyway? ) They're only for crazy people with way too much spare time. ^_^
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Opus * 2 = Opi. (:
Zomby138
Human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
that seems to sound almost exactly like the Japanese word for breasts, "oppai" pronounced "oh-pie".

yeah, anyway, hi there.
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm back! Just had an insane six day camping trip basically in the middle of nowhere, which was both mind-blowing and completely inspiring...

The blog will be hopefully a bit of everything, the news mainly a quick stream of bulletins as an aside to proper discussion of a particular topic or articles that will make up most of the site. Initially I want to start out on my own because I don't know anybody who kinda thinks like me and I don't know if it'll work at all. But it's no skin off my back if it doesn't, I'm spending any more money than I am at the moment on webspace.

I don't want to make a completely review/news site because there are places like TIGSource and GameHippo and even the remade TK for that...plus I never liked writing normal reviews anyway. I'd prefer to actually point out in a discussion the choices that people make during development that basically effect the outcome of the final game, be it specific to a particular game, or to everything in general. Hopefully it will become apparent when things start being posted (which will be soon, I hope Razz).

As for my magnum opus, I am probably going to wait a long while. Jon may be coding an engine right now which will make things more a case of creating content than trying to make features work (i.e. make my job easier) but I'm holding my breath till next July when I will be at the end of my third year, back in the UK (I'm in NZ at the mo) and have the summer free (i.e. I will have no money).

Man, sometimes I have so many things buzzing in my head it feels good to burp it all out somewhere... this Klik-Me blog thinger is a result of that I guess Very Happy
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome Zomby138 Very Happy

It's good to hear that your camping trip went well Jimbob. It's nice to get away! I consider myself fortunate to live in a quiet place by the sea - we basically have nowhere in 3 out of 4 directions, so a fellow doesn't have to walk far to find it. It's not exactly the *middle* of nowhere per se, but you can pretend that there isn't somewhere behind you, I guess. Smile

I haven't gone camping in ages. I kinda miss it. Campfires are great! Campfire cooking is not-so-great. Did you have any fun with creepy crawlies visiting you in the night?

I like the sounds of your plans for the blog ( I read someplace you were thinking of keeping Klik-Me as the name. Seems sensible to me. ) I usually lurk on most of the sites that I visit, but I'll try and contribute to the comments when it gets going.
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heh, it's just the start of spring here so the sandflies weren't out in force (only baby ones), but I still managed to get a few mosquito bites. The food wasn't too bad, but there's only so much you can do with pasta and tins of tuna Razz.

You can check out how the blog is looking here ( http://klik.jrnetwork.co.uk ) although the MySQL server is under maintenance at the time of writing so it might not work for a little while. Hopefully the new clean look will inspire a few more visitors... still looking for a header graphic as well as some more little graphical flourishes Smile but the rest is looking pretty sweet so far.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darn, I should have replied to this earlier sorry. The site was down when I tried last week. Looks good! Is it running off the Klik-Me database? ( posts seem identical, which is a good thing ) The far background is a bit weak - looks like it has been hit with a blur filter ( I've still not found a use for blur filters except for making things look ugly ^_^ )

It looks a lot nicer and cleaner than Klik-Me. I hope you make the switch soon, if for no other reason than that the klik-me url is easier to remember. Wink
Jimbob
Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha cheers, the background was a placeholder, because I don't want a plain background but I've no idea what to put there. I am basically copying what I've got over at Klik-Me and just pasting it directly into Wordpress which works fine (I've got much more control over image placement as well now).

After I finalise the frontpage design and have some sort of graphic for both title and background that I'm happy with, I'll get to try and change the url (although that would mean either finding Jannis or Rapidflash, both of whom seem to be AWOL). Plus I've got a couple of articles to finish off to post when I do make the big change.

Cheers for the comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: