Alpha Version 1.02 released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // Brass & Steel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Alpha Version 1.02 released Reply with quote
I just realised that it's been 3 and a half months since the release of 1.01. Ouch! Sad It seems that time flies regardless of whether you're having any fun or not.

So, not wanting to wait any longer, version 1.02 is now available to play!

http://www.thespiritengine.com/Brass&Steel/Files/Brass&SteelAlpha.zip

I'm very happy with the progress in this version - I just wish it was coming faster. I might follow if up with a 1.02b version soon, to tweak some remaing bugs and gameplay niggles. The new attack /defend quick play modes are not very heavily tested. I especially want to find ways to liven up the end-game, which drags a bit, with crippled units slowly limping around the map, taking feeble pots-hots at each other.

As always, any feedback is welcome!

Changelist for 1.02:
---------------------
- New terrain: walls, hedges and buildings
- New units
- Many bug fixes, tweaks, AI improvements, balance changes

Last edited by Mark Pay on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
kegley

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no executable in the zip file, or am I missing something?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry about this. Thanks to yourself and Nadav for pointing out the missing .exe Embarassed
The full version is now uploaded.
Jamiri
Human

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark, your new game is impressive, especially considering that is still in alpha.

It is very reminiscent of a very old game called KAMPFGRUPPE.

All the same mechanics are there, but your game has much nicer graphics and some really cool additions (I especially like the air strike!).

Some comments:
- the game runs very quickly and sometimes you cannot follow where the enemy units moved or which units have been moved
- you cannot access mouse over tool tips for enemy units if one of your units is selected
- units are moving too slowly, specifically moving your infantry across a map is very tedious and time-consuming.

Keep up the good work, add Internet or PBEM multiplayer, a campaign (with carry-over of your experienced units like in Panzer General) and make more units available.

Then I will buy this one!

Jam
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Jamiri. I'm sorry I'm almost a month late on replying to you. Sad

Thanks for the pointers to KAMPFGRUPPE - proper old-school! I'm aware that I'm treading on well-worn ground with a turn-based WW2 game, but I'm having fun with it. I don't intend to sell the game ( never say never, in case I find myself out of a job any time in the next couple of years! )

The slow unit movement - what bothers you most? Is it the physical movement on-screen, or the need to issue so many orders each turn. I've been entertaining the idea of optional AI-control for a player's own units ( ie move-to )

I definately want to do a campaign system, but it's quite a way in the future still. I programmed in unit exp a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks again,

Mark
Jamiri
Human

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no problems with "treading well-worn ground", just noted that it is very reminiscient. Kampfgruppe was an excellent game and it is long overdue to have a proper new game in this genre.

Regarding the slow movement: it's the few squares you can move each turn (some units only 1 per turn, which is annoying).
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Jamiri. I agree and I'll tweak the movement speeds/penalties for some units. Some of them will have to remain slow though. It's difficult to represent the full range of speeds on a grid-based system!
Jamiri
Human

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark, I think the slowest should be 2 or 3 squares per turn.

You could also immobilize some of the guns altogether to make the transport units more important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // Brass & Steel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: