Which characters should I play with thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cereal Toucher
Human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Which characters should I play with thread Reply with quote
Well, last time, I played with Ionae, Ferwin, and Enshadu, but mostly because Enshadu and Ionae interest me the most.

However, I heard Kaltos, Charlotte, and Enshadu is a good mix. Well, actually I saw someone in another thread say "aka the characters everyone uses", or something like that.

Also, I find the mix of Ionae, PyanPau, and Denever a interesting mix too, and I'm interested in trying the mix of Mericious, Ferwin/Charlotte/PyanPau and one of the other three 3rd characters. I didn't plan that out well.

But, I don't want two of the same classes in my party, and like I said, I picked Ionae and Enshadu because they seemed the most interesting and I feel like may make the plot more interesting. There is some side plot including the characters in the party, right?

And since story is a important essence but I'm also willing to try a few other characters, I don't know.

So, which mix should I give a try?

Also, what's a good name for a party? All I can think of that sounds remotely good or cool is Champions and The Watchmen.

Actually, I just viewed a thread on which single character is the most fave, and Enshadu and Kaltos and Ionae got the highest votes.

Also, two (or I think more) said they like to play with Ionae, Ferwin, and Enshadu and for similar (if not same) reasons I did! Very Happy It's too bad the thread and poll is locked, I assume it is. Because I can't post in it.

So, I guess there's not popular mix?

Also, I noticed how Charlotte's has some grammar problems, when I read her diary/journal.

sh3 b spwellin l9ke tis nd stwuff and spwelling twings funy.

Like weight. She may spell it like wate.
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why are you averse to playing with the same classes? There are some interesting combinations in them, I think, like Mericious and Pyanpau, and Kaltos and Denever.

Kaltos, Charlotte and Enshadu is popular because it has a rather lenghty subplot between Kaltos and Charlotte, and Enshadu is there for the priest slot.

I suggest you try Mericious, Ferwin and Grace. Especially if you haven't had Grace in your party before, she changes the plot somewhat.
But really, you should play the game through with every possible combination of characters. Smile

I usually go for a "neutral" and accidental name for the party, like the Wanderers or Jolly Three or such.

Charlotte's diary(and everyone elses for that matter), that's one of the very great touches in the game. Since Charlotte is mostly illiterate, her diary reflects this, which I found wonderful. And Enshadu's diary is full of ramblings and so on. Truly superb.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm thrilled to hear that you liked the diaries Tiavals! Very Happy
Charlotte's was surpisingly hard to write. First to try and keep a fairly consistent pattern to her poor spelling and second to try and stop it from being painful to read.

I agree with your party recommendation. Grace gives a noticeably different spin on the main storyline and is a good choice for a second play-through. I really enjoyed writing all the alternate dialogue between her and Batiste.
fuyutsukikouzou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny. I plan on playing through twice (once on normal and once on absurd) and I decided to omit Kaltos, Charlotte, and Enshadu (now I find that's the norm). Kaltos and Charlotte didn't quite interest me enough (though I like Charlotte's journals) and I decided I was more curious about Grace's backstory than Enshadu's.

My first playthrough was Ionae, PyanPau, and Denever. I liked the idea that they are all outcasts, in a way. Ionae and Denever are both foreigners and Denever is a war hero but now retired, so I imagined he must have mixed feelings about a country that he has served but has no need for him anymore at his age. I just finished the game with them and the character development at the end really moved me. I hope the same goes for my "Absurd run" Mericious/Ferwin/Grace party. I loved Ionae but I'm equally excited about Mericious.

I've heard Grace is difficult to play without powder imps, so I may regret this choice for Absurd level. However, this is the team I want, so I'm going for it. I'll post here again with strategies if I make it through alive...
DesertDweller
Human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm on my 3rd play-through, and right now I like my current group of Mericious, Denever, and Charlotte.

Although afaik right now Denever is the least interesting of characters. Sad My first playthrough was the typical Kaltos, Charlotte, and Enshadu party. I honestly think that's the best group in terms of actual potential. Charlotte's only missing high fire and enshadu's missing...idonremember but it's not too important.

My second playthrough was Pyan-Pau (sp?), Ionae, and Grace. That worked out well with two musketeers, but Pyan-Pau's lack of damn was difficult to work with.

I ended up accidentally overwriting that game btw with my current party.
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want the strongest "one of each" party, Mericious is your priest. Sure, Ionae's lost skill is completely meaningless which puts her a bit above the other two, and having your healer be the guy who gets "angry" status put on him most often isn't great, but Damn and Trick are both staples for me. Plus he gets all that bonus equipment. Charlotte beats Grace as a sharpshooter, since powder imps are less replacable than aim high (aim high is useful near the end, but in general anywhere you could use aim high enpowdered thunderstrike would probably do), and Ferwin's special event in chapter 7 generally makes things harder, so Denever becomes the knight. That's ignoring unbalanced parties of course; a person wanting an easy game might find the extra healing from two priests and a knight to be easier (and via bless, damn and charge you shouldn't have too much trouble in the damage crunch levels, though you'll have trouble hitting the back rows).

In terms of who's mots interesting, that's a matter of opinion. Ionae kicks ass, but so does Mericious (Kaltos is cool but not as cool as them). Few will argue that the Kaltos-Charlotte subplot isn't the best 2-character interaction, though I also like the dynamic between Ionae and PyanPau and between Mericious and PyanPau (what little I've seen of that one so far, which is basically the first two chapters). Charlotte is probably my favorite of the second row because I like her plot the best, with PyanPau coming in second and Ferwin not really appealing to me. For the last column, I found all three compelling, but Enshadu's probably the most intriguing (though Grace's extra plot info is a plus).

So I guess my "favorite characters" party is either Ionae-Charlotte-Enshadu or Mericious-Charlotte-Enshadu. Probably the latter simply because Mericious is more unique and his character depth is achieved without actually doing anything immoral (except running away I suppose), which was relied upon for both of the other slot one characters' flaws. Plus I can't be sure how much my liking of Ionae was influenced by knowing before starting that everybody else loved her, while Mericious doesn't seem to have many fans.
monsoonasiian
Human

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lonae is the greatest, u should no why. She is the most epic hero u can choose from. Mercious is quite cool 2 he has some great scenes.
Cereal Toucher
Human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot. How does Grace add a spin? Actually, this is getting more technical and stats based than I thought.
Tiavals
Human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If by spin you mean a difference in the plot, her personal history is somewhat entwined with our dear Parliamentarian.
Cereal Toucher
Human

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, ok. Thank you.
Cereal Toucher
Human

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. A party with Charolette for second play through for two slightly different plot lines.

I might go with Kaltos, Grace, and Enshadu, but for some reason, I don't want to.

What are the different Priests like? Like Enshadu, PyanPau, and what's-his-name. Which one is more interesting or better? From the sounds of it, Enshadu suprisingly isn't as interesting, despite looking interesting.
DesertDweller
Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I might go with Kaltos, Grace, and Enshadu, but for some reason, I don't want to.

That's good. The game doesn't want to either, since both Grace and Enshadu fill that third "voice of reason" person slot. Very Happy

Oh, the priests are really cool. I've only beaten the game with Mericious and Enshadu, but I've gotten up to Ch. 7 with Pyan-Pau.

Mericious gets some really nice equipment at the beginning of chapter 6 I think. Some of that stuff I used all the way to the end of the game. As he is also the first "temperamental" character slot, he does often argue. I was very happy with how well his inner spiritual struggle turned out, especially with Charlotte and Denever. (Denever + Mericious makes for a good ending I thought)

Enshadu has an...erm...interesting history, perhaps the most intriguing, or at least tied with Ionae imho. The second half of the game reveals a lot about Enshadu. I would definitely get a play-through in with him.

Pyan-Pau is obsessed with his grandpa...I've heard using both Mericious and him makes for some nice dialogue. (gonna do a Mericious + Pyan-Pau + Grace run-through, maybe on Absurd, after I finish my Ionae + Ferwin + Enshadu Hard run)
Cereal Toucher
Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I might use Mericious on second play through, if I do, if not Kaltos.

You make Enshadu sound very interesting. PyanPau looks cool, and grandparents are great too, but PyanPau doesn't quite interests me as much as Ensha-do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: