a few questions about game mechanics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhygadon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: a few questions about game mechanics Reply with quote
So ... I have one party in Chapter 7, two more experimental parties in Chapter 2, and so far I've found the game tremendously enjoyable. (And a very welcome change of pace from more mainstream RPGs.) I'll save my general comments until I've finished the game, but in the meantime, I have a few questions about the game mechanics ...

Ethereal damage
---------------
- Repeated hits from Black Bullet (using a single Musketeer) don't seem to stack; the second hit doesn't make the numbers go down any faster, and the durations don't seem to be added together. Is this correct? What happens if two different Musketeers hit the same target, say, 10 cycles apart?
- Black Bullet seems to be the only player attack that gives the "poison" hit point tint and damage-over-time. Are all other player sources of Ethereal damage (from Sprite, Krampt's scripture, &c.) applied instantly?
(I worry about this last one because I don't see the Sprite causing damage-over-time, but nor do the numbers for Sprite-enhanced attacks seem as high as they would be if the Ethereal damage was all being applied at once. Are you sure Sprite damage is really working?)
- If both of the above are true, does this mean that there's no interference (i.e. lost damage) when using other sources of Ethereal damage against a target who's currently poisoned by Black Bullet?
- Am I right to assume that the listed Chi regeneration for Sprite is spread out across the 140 cycle duration, while the damage is applied to each attack?

Order of effects for damage
---------------
- Does the defensive effect of Trick reduce the incoming damage before it hits Chi or Aurora? Once Chi is gone, does the effect apply before or after armor?
- Is bonus damage (from items) affected by the 25% reduction or 25-30% increase that some attacks get against some targets, or by the increase for successive hits with Lucky Shot?
- Beyond simply being better for penetrating armor, is bonus damage of the same type as the attack treated any differently than bonus damage of other types?
- What happens if a 100 point attack hits a character with 60 Chi remaining and 50 armor? I assume it should be that the Chi soaks 60 and the remaining 40 bounces, but in practice, hits that finish off my Chi seem to take more Health than I would expect. Are you sure that armor is correctly applied in such cases?

Other
---------------
- It seems item-granted powers aren't affected by buffs: Trick from an item doesn't benefit from Empowder, Heal doesn't benefit from Bless, and so on. Are there any exceptions?
- Does Trick from an item provide the same 25% reduction as a normal Trick?
- The rounding on stacked Dodge effects seems a bit, er, wonky. On a Musketeer, the increase in net Dodge from items seems far lower than what one would expect from multiplying the probabilities, presumably due to repeated rounding-down. (I don't have an example in front of me, but I remember something like 39% from LL + one 6% item + one 5% item yielding about 43%.) Is the fall-off in performance really meant to be that steep, or is this just a problem with generating an integer value for display purposes?
- Conversely, multiple Dodge sources seem purely additive when they're on non-Musketeers, even when they take Dodge into the teens. Intended?
- Does Bless affect passive skills (e.g. Might, Lucky Lady, Chosen)?
- Another post mentioned that Charge is not affected by Overdrive. Is this true for any other active skills?
- Does Overdrive improve both effects of a Sprite? Both components of Black Bullet or Staggering Blow?

Whew! I'll stop now, and await enlightenment. Idea
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Rhygadon!

Quote:
- Repeated hits from Black Bullet (using a single Musketeer) don't seem to stack; the second hit doesn't make the numbers go down any faster, and the durations don't seem to be added together. Is this correct? What happens if two different Musketeers hit the same target, say, 10 cycles apart?

IIRC The second hit will over-write the first, with it's own damage and timer, so long as doing so will inflict more damage in total.

Quote:
Black Bullet seems to be the only player attack that gives the "poison" hit point tint and damage-over-time. Are all other player sources of Ethereal damage (from Sprite, Krampt's scripture, &c.) applied instantly?

Yes. ( Unless they inflict poison. Smile )

Quote:
If both of the above are true, does this mean that there's no interference (i.e. lost damage) when using other sources of Ethereal damage against a target who's currently poisoned by Black Bullet?

That's correct.

Quote:
- Am I right to assume that the listed Chi regeneration for Sprite is spread out across the 140 cycle duration, while the damage is applied to each attack?

Yes

Quote:
- Does the defensive effect of Trick reduce the incoming damage before it hits Chi or Aurora? Once Chi is gone, does the effect apply before or after armor?

Yes, and before

Quote:
Is bonus damage (from items) affected by the 25% reduction or 25-30% increase that some attacks get against some targets, or by the increase for successive hits with Lucky Shot?

Yes to all

Quote:
- Beyond simply being better for penetrating armor, is bonus damage of the same type as the attack treated any differently than bonus damage of other types?

No

Quote:
- What happens if a 100 point attack hits a character with 60 Chi remaining and 50 armor? I assume it should be that the Chi soaks 60 and the remaining 40 bounces, but in practice, hits that finish off my Chi seem to take more Health than I would expect. Are you sure that armor is correctly applied in such cases?

It should be that the character takes no damage. It's possible that the attack may have had a small amount of some other damage ( ethereal or magic ) as a component.

Quote:
- It seems item-granted powers aren't affected by buffs: Trick from an item doesn't benefit from Empowder, Heal doesn't benefit from Bless, and so on. Are there any exceptions?

As far as I can recall, no. They're not affected by character statuses.

Quote:
- Does Trick from an item provide the same 25% reduction as a normal Trick?

Yes

Quote:
- The rounding on stacked Dodge effects seems a bit, er, wonky. On a Musketeer, the increase in net Dodge from items seems far lower than what one would expect from multiplying the probabilities, presumably due to repeated rounding-down. (I don't have an example in front of me, but I remember something like 39% from LL + one 6% item + one 5% item yielding about 43%.) Is the fall-off in performance really meant to be that steep, or is this just a problem with generating an integer value for display purposes?

For musketeers, the percentage added is adjusted for their existing natural dodge percentage. If it stacked linearly, you could get them up to 80+% dodge easily, and make them practically invulnerable!

Quote:
Does Bless affect passive skills (e.g. Might, Lucky Lady, Chosen)?

No

Quote:
Another post mentioned that Charge is not affected by Overdrive. Is this true for any other active skills?

This is untrue. Charge is only unaffected by Bless. (Though the skills you use with Charge are affected)

Quote:
Does Overdrive improve both effects of a Sprite? Both components of Black Bullet or Staggering Blow?

Yes to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Detailed Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: