TSE2 on iPhone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miglo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: TSE2 on iPhone Reply with quote
Hi all, just discovered this game from gametunnel. Looks like a great game!

Mark, are there any chances of this game being on the iPhone?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi miglo!
Unfortunately, I don't think there is any chance of bringing the game to iPhones. My limited understanding of the system is that it is fairly closed. What language does it use? Is Xcode just the name for the development environment?

TSE2 is built upon a development toolkit ( Multimedia Fusion 2 ) that can currently only build a Windows runtime. A Java build for MMF2 is in beta, but I don't know if the iPhone supports Java like other phones.

It doesn't help that I don't own either a Mac or an iPhone. Wink
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
iPhone has an SDK that can only be utilized on a MAC. I think that's the general premise, but other than that it's no more wizardry than programming for anything else. I'd imagine that if a porting effort was ever made for TSE2 that the data would ALL be externalized making portability widespread a possibility.
clray
Human

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another platform to which this game would fit well is Nintendo DS. But I suppose it's more a problem with which the Fusion devs should cope rather than a game author.
miglo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
iPhone development does indeed involve the Xcode which is just another environment like Visual Studio. It only runs on Macs, or in Hackintoshes Wink

Langage used is Objective-C with is another flavor of C+smalltalk (i think). Its not my favorite language by any means, but its not terrible if you are familiar with C or its other flavors.

Graphics core is based on OpenGL 2.0 I believe, or at least a subset of it. TSE2 does not look like its that intensive in terms of graphics and would probably be well adapted to the iPhone.

I think TSE2 would do very well on the iphone.
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think so too, actually...
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The game is not doing very well on desktop PC ( yet, hopefully ) and I think that porting it would involve a large amount of work. I turned down an offer to port the game because I think the risk is too high for the work required and potential rewards.
Rogue
Human

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ideally it should have been written in C/C++ in the first place. All these crazy port suggestions would be feasible, at least from a programming perspective. Also, if written with cross platform compatibility in mind, ports to Mac and Linux would practically write themselves.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps. I knew no C when I started anyway, and a 5 year development cycle was already too long to increase with lower-level programming. For all its shortcomings, MMF does at least provide a stable platform to work quickly ( and sloppily Wink ) on top of.

wine seems to cover Linux fairly well. I don't know what the equivalent emulation for Macs is like. I must confess that my disinterest in other platforms beyond desktop PC has left me fairly ignorant.
Rogue
Human

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think that using C would necessarily take longer. Although C doubtlessly requires more skill to use than higher level languages, it's a very productive programming language as long as you know how to use it. With high level programming languages, you have lots of things already simplified for you. With mid level programming languages like C/C++, you have to break things down and simplify them yourself, but if you go about making your program well you can potentially make something simpler, more flexible and less cumbersome to work with than methods of software development that are already simplified for you. There are also lots of free open source libraries and sample code that you can use to simplify things for you.

I suppose making a game in an unfamiliar programming language can be a daunting task, and there's nothing wrong with using Multimedia Fusion as long as you finish your games, but I think you should at least consider it an option.

Macs can run Windows in Mac OS X using Parallels Desktop. It's the way I've been playing TSE 2 actually. They can also boot in Windows using Apple's Boot Camp. TSE 2 runs perfectly, but it would still be preferably if it was running natively in Mac OS X.

Just about everyone has the hardware necessary to run TSE 2, but there are still lots of reasons to port it to other platforms. If you were to port it to a gaming console, popular gaming websites and magazines would review your game, giving you more exposure. Porting it to a handheld platform would be great for obvious reasons. Aside from that, people just have a weird fascination with playing things on different pieces of hardware. As impractical and utterly pointless as it would be, it would just be awesome if I could play a Spirit Engine game on a Super Nintendo or some other old gaming platform.
TwiTerror
Musical Maestro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The challenge wouldn't be programming it in C, it would be recreating all of the level data and exporting all the graphics etc and arranging them to align perfectly with whats in MMF.
Rogue
Human

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well yeah, I'm trying to say that it should have originally been made in C. I'm not familiar with MMF so I'm not sure why exporting the graphics and using them in a C program would be that much of a problem. Something to do with the way MMF handles graphical frames? I understand that recreating the level data, cutscenes etc would be a ton of work, but it wouldn't necessarily need to be an exact port.
reavenk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The alternative is to try to sell the rights to port your IP to the Nintendo DS to a game company, and in the process get them to hire you as a game designer. So you bring in your IP (which is already an actual product and not merely a designed idea or theory) and other people do the programming, and it gets a industry producer. I can easily imagine there's a few companies out there that would be all over the idea.

Kind of out there, but not too far fetched.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appreciate the idea. I've had a rough couple of years working in or around the games industry myself and it has left me very wary of doing business with it. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: