translation suggestion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. Smile Do you have a suitable windows font that could provide the necessary Cyrillic characters as a replacement for the standard latin ones?
( Kind of like how Wingdings replaces them with symbols )

I've not tried anything like this before. Hopefully there are some tools available to help you make the translation from a true Cyrillic character space to a 'fake' one like this.
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you mean font that contains characters like `~';":/.,?><!@#$%^&*()\, or special cyrillic font?Answer to both questions: yes.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was thinking of something like the first cyrillic truetype font on this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/pop/top4/fonts/

I can type in latin characters from my keyboard, and this font displays cyrillic characters instead.
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright.When it'll be ready?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only gave that font as an example. It isn't a true Cyrillic font and I don't know how it might map to input from your keyboard. Are you able to type everything you need using it?
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I am.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. I will try and put together a version of the game and editor using that font for the first chapter, as a test, by the end of this weekend. If that works, we can look at converting the rest.
GiB
Human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How is the work going?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not quite there yet unfortunately, I had some other work to do over the weekend. Could you PM me with your email address so that I can arrange getting the updated version to you?
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A note to myself: Alessandro, who is working on the Italian translation, has helped me out with a list of text areas requiring external reference. I'll be looking to change these for a 1.05 patch.

Quote:
- First screen: the word "Version" remains untranslated.
- Start Game:
1. "Party Name" remains untranslated.
2. "Character One/Two/Three" remain untranslated.
3. Both the buttons "Continue" and "Start" at the end of the character and difficulty screens remain untranslated.
- Continue Game: "Save 1/2/3..." and "Empty Slot" remain untranslated.
- Change Options:
1. The text in the title bar is both translated and untranslated. I mean, the white word in the foreground is still in English but the shadow in the background is translated into Italian.
2. "Music Volume" and "Sound Volume" remain untranslated, although in the Additional Text section they are already translated into Italian.
3. In the Keys section, the whole text remains in English. (Apart from that, I have noticed that the tutorial says you can toggle the menu on by clicking the Spacebar instead of the keys 1, 2, 3 or 4. However, the command has no mapping, so the key for "Menu Toggle" seems to be "none").
- Chapter Start: at the right bottom corner of the map there is a "Continue" button. I thought it was the same as the one in the dialogues, but it seems it doesn't want to be translated into Italian...
- Characters' Menu:
1. The fourth file is the "Party" one. It is not translated into Italian, but this is a minor issue since Italian also uses the word "party" when talking about an RPG or an MMORPG (although the proper Italian translation is "gruppo").
2. Under the characters' files, there is another row of files reporting "Skill Stats", "Skill Chains", "Inventory" and "Journal". These remain all untranslated.
3. Skill Stats: every character is described as a "Level x Knight/Musketeer/Priest". The first issue is that "Level" remains in English (although I have translated the #159 string); the second one is a word switch issue, since Italian has a different order for saying this (that would be a sort of "Knight/Musketeer/Priest, Level x").
4. "Fortitude" is the only skill I wasn't able to translate because there is no entry for translating it. You have already spoken with Tatogame about it.
5. In the "Black Bullet" skill description, I have translated the last "Ethereal Damage" (the one after the amount of "Initial Damage") but the order of the words remains the English one. This is probably due to the fact that "Ethereal" and "Damage" occurring here belong to two different strings (#92 and 130, if I remember correctly). I suggest you should replace them with an unique string, the #134 one: this may solve the problem.
6. Inventory: some objects give the character using or wearing them a "Piercing/Concussive/etc. Bonus". Italian prefers saying the equivalent of the English "Bonus to Piercing/Concussive/etc.". Thus, another word switch issue.
7. Journal: "Entry Number 1" remains untranslated.
8. Party: "Party Info" and "Party Chains" remain untranslated, and so do the difficulty levels at the bottom of the menu.
- Tutorial: all keys are in English. This is probably caused by the Keys issue in the Change Options menu at the start.
- In Battle:
1. When creating a Smokescreen or summoning a Powder Imps, their names remain in English although I have translated the relative skills.
2. In the «Quick Skill» menu, under the characters, all Skill Chains are translated into Italian apart from "Party Chain".
- Mini-Map: "Visited!" and "Unvisited" remain untranslated.
- When having a conversation with someone, the NPC's name remains in English, although it has been already translated.
- Purchasing Items: in the Purchase menu, "Credits", "Item Value", "Credits after Purchase" and "Unaffordable" remain untranslated.
- When pressing Escape, at the right top corner of the screen appears the string "Exit to Menu?" and then the options Yes/No. They remain all untranslated.
- When boarding on the flight towards Porto Vale, after meeting Jaques Zerau there is a fade-out with the caption "Several hours later...". The caption remains untranslated.
- Credits: there are some sections which remain untranslated (for instance, who you and Josh would like to thank, and something like that).
Spolygmar
Human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, here I am! Good afternoon to the whole TSE-2 community!
First I'd like to introduce myself: my name is Alessandro and I'm currently translating this marvellous game into Italian.
Looking back to the in-game text, I have noticed another issue, this time regarding enemy creatures. The question I'd like to ask Mark is, shall I translate the enemies' names, too? Because if the answer is yes, their names should be translatable.
At this moment, unfortunately, they are not.

Thanks for your reply.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alessandro. Very Happy Thanks again for your help with the translation issues.
I finally started work on 1.05 yesterday. I shall aim to make the monster names translatable too.
Spolygmar
Human

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Version 1.05 testing Reply with quote
I've carried out the testing and it seems that the great majority of the issues I mentioned before have been resolved. Just two other little things:

- Options menu: "Music Volume" and "Sound Effects Volume" still remain in English. I've even tried to translate the related additional text from Italian back to English and then again into Italian, but looks like there's no way out. The text strings I'm referring to are #202 and #204: it seems that they are not linked to the actual text in the box...
- Continue Game: "Save 1", "Save 2" etc. all remain in English. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't remember having seen a text string called "Save": there's just a "Save Text" at #253, but I think it refers to something else.

I have just another question for you: do I have to translate the text in all of the images? Of course, the menu images must be all translated, there's no question. But I have noticed that some of the text reported in some of the images also occurs in the dialogues (for instance, the not-so-welcoming sign at the entrance of Underport is also mentioned in the dialogue at 302.set, ID 0), and all dialogues are already being translated into Italian.

That's all for the moment. Thank you for your reply.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is good news Alessandro. Thanks for your help.

I'd thought that the 'Sound/Music Effects' text had been properly referenced, but I think I know now what might be missing. It should be an easy fix.

The Save slot names are taken from the directory names in the file system. This allows the user to add their own directories/save slots. Since I want to keep this system, the only way to translate these would be to rename the directories.

It is not a requirement to translate any of the background images. If they are not found in the directory, the game will keep the originals.
pierrebai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: French translation Reply with quote
I intend to buy the game in a short while and will try to provide a French translation when I finish it. (I don't want to spoil it by translating it too soon!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 Feedback and Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: