Save Folder location preferences - thoughts appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Save Folder location preferences - thoughts appreciated. Reply with quote
For version 104 I have updated the save/load code to point to any folder. This won't effect existing copies, which will continue to save in the install folder unless you change game.ini.

I was wondering where people would prefer TSE2 to save to. There seems to be little consensus with large, modern commercial games, which spray files all over subdirectories of 'User'

At the moment I'm looking at 'My Documents/TSE2 Data'
instead of 'Application Data/Roaming/TSE2 Data' which is supposedly the 'correct' location to use but which seems to be a hidden folder on non-Admin accounts.

There is a 'User/Saved Games' directory, but I'm not sure whether this exists for XP or win98 ( checking now )

Any thoughts or other suggestions? There aren't really a lot of options on Vista. Sad

Last edited by Mark Pay on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brickman
Human

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know anything in User, My Documents and the like has the advantage of never tripping Vista's security flags, while anything in C does, so anything in that area makes sense. Personally I like being able to find my save files for games with a limited number of saves, including TSE2. Course, I myself already have the game itself installed in Users/MyName/Downloads, so I have no need to move it. Long as the current's still the default I'm fine. If you're just adding options, I think that User/SavedGames and something in MyDocuments are both good ideas (saved games is better for vista, my documents better for nonvista). Don't worry about stepping on XP's toes--you don't have to be able to use every option, as long as there's one that works for you.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help Brickman. I'm leaning towards My Documents\My Games\The Spirit Engine 2 at the moment. There's a number of big commercial games that save there, and it'll work for XP and 98. I also found a related discussion on RockPaperShotgun that was helpful.

It'll be a tag in game.ini, so a user will be able to set it to save into any folder. But since a non-admin Vista account won't be able to change the default game.ini, the default location value needs to be as good as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: