"Death of Personality"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGman
Human

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: "Death of Personality" Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, Mark, have you ever seen the episode of Babylon 5 called "Passing through the Gethsemane"? It deals with the same issues and concept as Enshadu's story arc. Was wondering if you'd come across it and whether it served as any sort of inspiration. If not, you'd probably enjoy watching it.
Mark Pay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I have, and it was a pretty direct inspiration! I watched it again last year on the season 3 boxset and it was as good as I remember, aside from some hammy acting from the main thug.

I can't remember what age I was when I originally saw it, but it left a distinct impression on me, as did a lot of B5, TNG and DS9 from that era. ( They just don't make intelligent scifi like they used to Sad )

The episode deals with the concept really well, brings it full circle on itself and has a poignant ending.
I regret that I couldn't really justify the time required to go any deeper into the themes. Fitting a more direct translation of the end of theB5 story into a game of this sort would be a challenge ( not least because of the protagonist's fate. )
In the context of an RPG though, where mental weakness is usually overcome with the power of love/friendship/determination, I'm not unhappy with the potentially anticlimatic way that Enshadu's story is concluded.

Anyway, "Passing through the Gethsemane" is fantastic, and I'd recommend it even to people who haven't watched the show before. Very Happy It's pretty self-contained episode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Spirit Engine Forum Index // TSE-2 General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: